The Economics of Free
Originally uploaded by Gauravonomics

I've been Online for a long time as well.

There have been periods of ups and downs with my engagement Online, and notably, they correspond to ebb and flows of life in general. Even with my work having been involved with an Online audience since 2005, before Social Media and Engagement became the buzzwords, I've had my ups and downs. At times, my personal life and mood would see me withdraw, and other times, the general mood of the city or country would influence my time spent Online.

With the initial frenzy of Social Media Networking, my observation has noted an immaturity to our Online behaviour. Having grown a fan list, a facebook list, blogs, and sites, the door is wide-open for me to pepper people with bits. I plant the occasional seed, and I try to do it more subtly than what I'm actually seeing with many others. I find it interesting that people would "Follow" me for any other reason than interest. I find it interesting that people would "invite" me to their group, or to become a fan of their page, when there is sufficient evidence present for them to understand that I am not their target audience.

In reality, the immaturity of this new buzz is, I believe, a significant contributor to the downturn in social media interest. People (marketers) are after the list. The whole idea that is observed, is one of growing a massive list, throwing the bait out to the hordes accumulated, and waiting for the odd "real" sucker to click and buy. It doesn't seem to matter to these "marketers" that more than 85% of their audience is NOT their target market. They are other marketers trying to build their list, lonely people who are glad someone invited them, and I'm sorry to say it, but also the desperate and low of self-esteemed who feel more worthy with more fans.

If people really took a hard look at the line between acceptable and unacceptable behaviour, I think we'd observe different participation levels. If the Online purists took an honest look, they would realize that the guy / gal who posts their own stuff, whether bookmarking, twittering, or whatever, is someone who is at least being Honest with the audience and themselves. I've said it before that our Online behaviours are largely being influenced by a) ignorance, b) social pressure / expectations, and c) hunger for a buck.

When the "police" (those who tell us what the Online rules are that defy common sense) relax and allow people to truly interact as they wish, and as the "snake-oil" sales people chill and improve their ethics with their marketing practises, then maybe the Social Media landscape will settle into a more palatable environment that will truly and consistently engage audiences.

As it stands, it does get tiresome.

Here's a little plain English to kick it home:

Recognition of Social Media was made by seeing the opportunity to sell to an Online audience that was growing, and how this audience gravitated to sites that offered interactivity both solo and with others. But the numb-nuts forgot that people react by pushing away the offender that gets "too much in my face."

Now here's something to understand about doing it right.
  • The brighter folks recognize what this process is all about and will engage in it fully for the learning opportunity it represents.
  • If the smart marketer has done things right, they have engaged a relevant target market and has engaged them in the cycle of education that leads up to a buying decision.
  • These brighter folks, having taken in the details, examined the opportunity, and determined the viability and relevance to their personal situation, will now make a decision to buy, or not to buy.
  • The smart marketer is selling something that isn't just smoke and mirrors, and provides something that has real value and potential for someone who exercises a practical work-ethic.
  • These brighter folks know that making it all work, means they have to do the work.
At the very least, go after a relevant target market. It's the shotguns that are driving the market away!

0 comments:

Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds